Education and Membership of Professional Societies
- Cosmic ray astrophysics / origin of cosmic rays / gamma-ray astronomy
- Long-baseline cosmic ray coincidence experiments to search for gamma-ray bursts from supernovae and other cataclysmic astrophysical events
Collaboration: Professor Brian McBreen, Dr David Fegan (UCD).
Funded by NSC/NBST/EOLAS grants, 1973-1976, 1977-1980, 1981
- Development of time transfer techniques for widely spaced ground-based experiments
Collaboration: Professor Alan Watson (University of Leeds).
Funded by British Council grant, 1982-83
- Physics education / computers in physics teaching
- Microcomputer-based experiments for university level physics courses
Collaboration: UNESCO Division of Scientific Education and Research (Paris).
Funded by UNESCO grants 1986-87, 1988-90
- Standardisation of interfaces for microcomuter based school experiments
Collaboration: An Roinn Oideachais (post-primary branch).
Dr. John O'Brien, University of Limerick.
Funded by An Roinn Oideachais grants 1990-91
- Computerised Laboratory in Science and Technology Teaching
Collaboration: Collaborating institutions in Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Spain, Greece, Lithuania,
The Netherlands, Portugal, Slovakia and Slovenia (University of Ljubljana, promoter).
Funded by EU Leonardo da Vinci 2 (Community Vocational Training Action Programme):
Project SI143008 (ComLab-SciTech) 2000-2003;
SI-05-B-F-PP-176008 (ComLab-2) 2004-2007
- Learning Environment for Physics Laboratory Activities )
Collaboration: Collaborating institutions in Italy, Poland (Technical University of Lodz, promoter), Sweden and UK.
Funded by EU Socrates Minerva (eEurope initiative): Project 99843-CP-1-2002-1-PL (LEPLA) 2002-2005
Professional Societies and Activities